Paleo energy bites made with simply 3 ingredients and no protein powders. A simple, good-for-you snack that’s perfect for on-the-go.
I stopped eating red meat and pork 24 years ago. I was 17 years old (yep, totally giving away my age here) and I was a junior in high school. A friend of mine decided to forego red meat, and I went along with her. And I never looked back.
4 years ago, while returning home from a natural foods expo, I sat on the plane next to a gentleman who was vegan. He told me all about how his wife had been vegan for 12 years, and shared all of the benefits that she’d experienced. I decided to give it a try. Could I rely on plant-based proteins? I vowed to give it one week to see if I could do it. I had no meal plan or book to follow, and truth be told, I was hungry. And somewhat clueless. I survived those seven days and decided that I’d include occasional fish and eggs in my diet – because I don’t believe that one’s dietary desires have to have a label. These 3 ingredient paleo energy bites were a concoction of my desire for fullness.
What I love about these paleo energy bites
- They’re super quick and easy to make.
- They contain healthy fats, both from the nut butter and also from the coconut flour.
- Coconut flour is rich in protein, fiber and fat which makes these bites exceptionally filling.
- Paleo energy bites are versatile. Roll them in unsweetened shredded coconut (as shown), or in mini chocolate chips (a kid-favorite, for sure).
- No unnatural sugars, preservatives or other unwanted ingredients are included.
- I always have all of these ingredients on hand. I hope you will, too!
- They are versatile. I have made them with peanut, almond and cashew butter and am sure that they’d work with sunbutter, too.
Paleo energy bites made with simply 3 ingredients and no protein powders.
- 2 cups natural and creamy cashew, almond or peanut butter
- 1 cup coconut flour sifted
- 1/3 cup honey
- Sift coconut flour.
- In a medium bowl, combine all 3 ingredients. Stir with a spatula until mixture stops sticking to spatula. Be patient; takes about 1-2 minutes of stirring. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll into balls and coat with unsweetened dried coconut or chocolate, or leave as is. Keep in the refrigerator and enjoy cold.
- **If they are not coated, they are the slightest bit sticky. The coating helps prevent this, but I like them uncoated, too!
A few notes about these paleo energy bites
- Keep in the refrigerator for best taste.
- Be sure to sift your coconut flour, as it will tend to clump otherwise.
- Check the sugar content of your nut butter of choice. I prefer those without any added sugars; here is an example of a cashew butter that works wonderfully, and I’ve also picked up one from Target that worked great, too.
- Don’t use a nut butter that you grind yourself at your local grocery store; these are too thick and won’t bode well in this recipe.
If you are looking for a burst of protein first thing in the morning, after your workout or as something to stave off your appetite for the afternoon, look no further! Try these 3 ingredient paleo energy bites. Let me know if you love them as much as I do:). Oh and one more thing – here are more healthy post run snacks ideas – just in case you’re looking for them! And if you like recipes with minimal ingredients, don’t miss these 3 Ingredient Cookies; they are egg-free and contain no added sugars.