About 8 years ago, I came across a recipe that had spinach combined with some fruit, milk and yogurt. The recipe promised that, although the end result was green, you couldn’t taste the veggies inside. Hmmm … would my kids buy it? Turns out, they will! But some recipes are more accepted than others. Today I am sharing a tried-and-true recipe for a simple green smoothie for kids that I’m pretty sure you’re gonna love.
Why I love green smoothies
- They are the perfect convenience food. Get your ingredients together and throw them in a large freezer-friendly bag. When you are ready to blend, simply throw them into a high-speed blender with your liquids and you are just a minute away from good-quality nutrition.
- Versatility. Don’t like bananas? Swap them out with avocados or frozen mango. Want more greens? Go for it. Why not?!
- Great for on-the-go. Blend, put in cup, enjoy. Anywhere.
- Hel-lo nutrition. Fruits and vegetables blended up with water or coconut water? Yeah, sounds pretty good to me! Pretty sure you can check those boxes for lots of servings of the good stuff for that day.
Green smoothies for kids?
Yes, yes, yes! I really hope you try this green smoothie for kids recipe. I will say that based on our experience, using spinach is the least obvious/variety of greens they will taste the least. But have fun with it and maybe try it out with another option at some point. This recipe is so easy that your kids can assist in making it. And YOU can feel good about getting some extra added goodness into your kiddos.
You’ll notice that I included hemp hearts within. I love hemp hearts because they are high in protein and omegas 3 & 6. They are also a good source of iron and honestly have a slightly nutty taste, but really don’t taste like much. I was vegetarian for 5 years, and during this time I discovered hemp hearts. Even though I had to start eating chicken recently, I still enjoy hemp hearts often – especially in my smoothies! While I hope you include them, you can certainly leave them out.
- ¾ cup greens of choice (mixed greens or spinach)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 apple, cored and sliced
- 1 banana, peeled (frozen is ideal)
- 2 Tablespoons hemp hearts
- Optional booster: 1-2 Tablespoons nut butter
- Place greens and water in a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients; blend until there are no chunks. Enjoy cold.
Let me know if you try out this green smoothie and how your kids like it. Cheers!
Posts may contain affiliate links. Products purchased through an affiliate link have the same costs, but Easy Real Food will receive a small commission. This helps cover some of the costs for this site. We appreciate your support!