Have you ever heard the term Maycember? It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out what it means. It’s a mixture of May and December, and my friend and I always refer to this time of year with that term because of how insanely busy it is and how it resembles the winter month. The kids activities are increased by 10, and personally speaking, I can barely find time to cook right now. So I have a delicious recipe to share with you that’s perfect for busy days or simply any time that you don’t feel like doing a bunch of prep: Honey Garlic Chicken.
Honey Garlic Chicken: An Easy Slow Cooker Recipe
I love recipes that are so versatile that you can serve them in a number of ways. You can make this honey garlic chicken over the weekend and serve it up during the first few days of the week, but never have the same meal twice. Toss a salad and throw some of this on top for a yummy and easy meal. Or throw it on top of some brown rice and add a simple vegetable on the side, and dinner is done! Or one of my faves: honey garlic chicken on top of a sweet potato, cheese optional. Mmmm-hmmm. Seriously – it doesn’t get much easier or yummier than that. It’s even kid-approved. Bonus!
Super easy honey garlic chicken recipe that's made in a slow cooker without any processed ingredients. Quick and tasty, and very versatile!
- 2 lbs. chicken I use either all thighs or a combination with chicken breasts and thighs
- 1/3 cup honey
- 4 cloves of garlic peeled and chopped
- ½ cup onion sliced thin
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 2 TBSP tamari or soy sauce
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 TBSP arrowroot powder mixed with 3 TBSP water
- Add chicken to slow cooker. Toss onion and garlic on top, and drizzle chicken, onion and garlic with honey.
- In a small bowl, mix the apple cider vinegar, tamari (or soy), spices and salt. Pour over chicken.
- Cook on high for 4 hours. After 3.5 hours, add the mixed arrowroot powder and water to the slow cooker and stir to combine; finish cooking for the remaining 30 minutes. The arrowroot mixture will help thicken the sauce. Chicken should shred easily with a fork after cooking.
Slow cooker meals can always come in handy, especially during the ramping up of school, around the holidays, and the end of the school year, too. Is anyone else feeling a little crazed these days??
Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your costs will be the same but Easy Real Food will receive a small commission. This helps cover some of the costs for this site. We appreciate your support!