It’s the last week of school for us – summer, we are READY! The sun is out, and we’re ready for cook-outs, pool parties and late nights. And I’ve got the perfect recipe to share that comes together quickly for those pot lucks (or last minute guests) and which is a crowd pleaser: black bean, corn & avocado salad.
Jump to Recipe
Black bean, corn and avocado salad recipe
I can’t tell you how happy I was when my kids spotted this dish in the fridge and exclaimed – “MOM – that looks awesome!” Total mom win, right?:) The best thing about it is that not only is it beautifully colorful, it’s also super simple to make and is chock full of goodness. You can prepare this dish ahead of time, add in the avocado right before serving, give it a good mix, and you’ve got a salad recipe I know you’ll come back to.
Tips on making a black bean, corn and avocado salad
- Wash and chop your veggies, open your cans and mix everything together ahead of time. Chill in the fridge until ready to serve, and add the avocado at the last minute to prevent browning.
- If you must add avocado ahead of time, put plastic wrap tightly over the salad (touching the black bean, corn & avocado salad) to help prevent browning. The lime juice will also help.
- My husband got this avocado tool for me last year and I absolutely love it. If you are also an avocado fan, I highly recommend it!
- I recommend organic ingredients whenever feasible, especially those falling on the dirty dozen list.
- This salad works well on it’s own or served with chicken, meat, fish or obviously any Southwestern-inspired foods.
A Southwestern-inspired salad that combines beans, corn and a mix of colorful vegetables, all folded up in a creamy avocado-y, lime juice blend.
- 1 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can corn drained
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 1/2 red, orange or yellow pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 avocados peeled and diced
- salt to taste
Add all ingredients to a medium mixing bowl. Mix to combine. The more that you mix, the more the avocado will coat the salad; adjust to your liking.
Hope you enjoy this salad as much as we do! Would love to hear about it in the comments below:).
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This dish is truly delicious! It’s a perfect appetizer when you are hosting dinner. Love the avocado in the salad!