An easy recipe for gluten free bread pudding that’s a dairy free recipe, too. Use gluten free bread, eggs, and just a few other ingredients to bake a delicious comfort food breakfast that’s suitable for those with food sensitivities or food allergies. A perfect gluten free brunch recipe or delicious for holidays, too.
Simple Gluten-Free Bread Pudding (Dairy-free)
Back in the day, I used to make cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning. You know – the ones that come in a can that you simply throw on a baking sheet and bake. That was before I knew about the “fake” foods that were lurking within, and also before half of our family became gluten-free. This year we’ll be making a new recipe that incorporates simple, real ingredients in a new family favorite: easy gluten-free bread pudding.
Bread pudding: a classic comfort food
My mom used to make bread pudding when I was younger, so it’s definitely on the list of comfort foods for me. There’s something so delicious about warm, puffy bread baked up with eggs and a touch of sweetness … mmmm. On a personal note, my mom is not in the best of health. She had sinus cancer that went into her brain 6 years ago and now has traumatic brain injury from the treatment and surgery. It’s a sensitive spot for me to say the least, and memories from my childhood are even more near and dear to me as a result. Because this dish makes me think of her, this recipe holds a special place in my heart.<3
While I have not tried this recipe with *regular* (non gluten-free) bread, I’m assuming that it would work just as well. And you guys – I kid you not, I got a 9.5 and even a 10/10 from my kids on this recipe. Seriously – that never happens!! It is that good.
About easy gluten-free bread pudding
- Coconut sugar replaces refined sugars in this, and the quantity is kept at a minimum. While coconut sugar is said to have lower glycemic index, my stance on sweets is that sugar is sugar is sugar. So yes it’s a *better* alternative, but let’s not overdo it, folks! I do like it as solid alternative to white sugar.
- Use light coconut milk in this bread pudding to not only make it dairy-free, but to also make it super creamy and rich. While I typically use full fat coconut milk, the light version worked wonderfully here.
- I used gluten-friendly bread from my local Great Harvest. This homemade bread would also work well, too, and I have a number of other homemade gluten free breads for you to check out, too.
- Raisins and pecans were the perfect addition for a little something extra within. Feel free to sub with all raisins or all nuts (walnuts would be nice) or even some diced apple.
- This is by far my favorite cooking spray that I use in this recipe, and in most others, too.
An easy recipe for gluten free bread pudding that's a dairy free recipe, too. Use gluten free bread, eggs, and just a few other ingredients to bake a delicious comfort food breakfast that's suitable for those with food sensitivities or food allergies. A perfect gluten free brunch recipe or delicious for holidays, too.
- 4 cups gluten-free bread cubed
- 4 eggs
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x9 dish with coconut or avocado oil (see notes).
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and then add coconut milk, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, raisins and pecans.
- Gently add in bread and mix to combine. Add mixture to prepared dish.
- Bake 45-50 minutes, until top is set and peaks of bread are lightly golden brown. Serve warm or even chilled.
We’ll be enjoying this on Christmas morning this year, and likely many other times, too. Let me know if you give it a try!
Posts may contain affiliate links. Products purchased through an affiliate link have the same costs, but Easy Real Food will receive a small commission. This helps cover some of the costs for this site. We appreciate your support!