It’s 11 days away from Christmas, the kids have just one more day of school before break, and I’ve been in more shops this week than I’d like to admit. Yesterday I spent 3 hours wrapping gifts, I’ve completely slacked on the advent calendar, and I still have my neighborhood cards to get distributed. December is a busy time, no doubt, and we need easy meals around this time (ahem, all the time is nice, though). So I’m excited to share today’s recipe which is super quick with minimal clean-up (score): Instant Pot Chicken and Rice.
First off, lets talk about the Instant Pot. Ya’ll have heard me talk about it numerous times. The Instant Pot is a 7-in-1 appliance that sautes, is a pressure cooker, a slow cooker, rice maker, makes yogurt and seriously is one appliance that I think every kitchen should have. I use mine a few time a week and am constantly finding new ways to use it. This Instant Pot Chicken and Rice recipe is a great example of how you can first saute foods and then right after pressure cook it – or slow cook, if that’s your desire. Without the appliance, you would have to dirty up multiple dishes – totally not a fan of this!
Next let’s talk about the Instant Pot Chicken and Rice: this is a super versatile dish. I may or may not have made this 3x’s in the last 10 days, and each time I’ve used different vegetables. It’s seriously one of those dishes where you think – WTH am I going to make for dinner tonight? – OHHHH yes! I have just the thing. But it’s actually a dish that your family will enjoy! Try out different vegetables, and also different spices. My version is really basic, but you can get creative and make it more of an Italian taste by adding oregano and basil. Or try adding cumin and chili powder with corn included, and add in some canned black beans after making it and top it with salsa and cheese for a Mexican flair. The options are endless!
- 4 or 5 boneless chicken thighs
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1¼ cups chicken stock + 2 TBSP
- ½ cup onions, diced
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- ½ cup (or 3 carrots), peeled and chopped
- 1 TBSP avocado (or olive) oil
- Season chicken thighs with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add oil to Instant Pot and push Saute button.
- Add chicken thighs and cook both sides for 1-2 minutes on each side. Note: they will not be cooked through, which is fine. After cooking both sides, remove and set aside.
- Add the 2 TBSP of chicken stock to deglaze the bottom of the pot, and then add vegetables. Cook, stirring a few times, for 1 minute. Add the rice, stir and add the 1.25 cups of chicken broth. Hit Cancel on the Instant Pot.
- Add chicken back on top of rice and veggies and place the lid on top, setting the pressure knob to sealed position. Press Manual and adjust time to 22 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 - 10 minutes before pressing Cancel releasing pressure. Remove lid and shred chicken with two forks and mix into rice. Serve warm.
Other Instant Pot Recipes that you may like:
- Carrot Soup
- Mac and Cheese
- Vegetarian Split Pea Soup with Kale
- Quick and Easy Cauliflower Soup
- Whole Cooked Chicken in an Instant Pot
Do you have any easy recipes that you can suggest to others on busy days like this one? Please share them in the comments below!
Posts may contain affiliate links. Products purchased through an affiliate link have the same costs, but Easy Real Food will receive a small commission. This helps cover some of the costs for this site. We appreciate your support!