One of the things that I missed when I initially went grain free was bread. I mean, obviously, right?! I was afraid that I couldn’t have toast topped with avocado, nut butter or even a good ol’ sandwich. So I tried and tried various versions and I’m SUPER excited to share with you this winning combination for grain-free, nut-free bread that I came up with. Just because you’re limiting grains doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t enjoy some of your favorite foods!
Grain-free, nut-free bread recipe
This bread is full of seeds, great sources of plant protein. Seeds also provide ample amounts of fiber, healthy monounsaturated fats, polyunsaturated fats and many important vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. As you’ll see in the recipe, I like to grind up half of the seeds in the preparation so that you get the floury effect. By combining this with psyllium husk and eggs, you’ve got a bread that’s a tasty density that holds together well, too.
I’m not going to lie. This bread will not resemble your typical white bread. It is definitely more dense and not nearly as airy. But my guess is that you’re not going for that white bread effect anyhow, right?:)
About the ingredients
- Psyllium husk flakes. Psyllium is fiber, and often used as a laxative. However, because it is a soluble fiber, it becomes gelatinous and sticky in water, making it a great binding agent.
- Chia seeds are similar to flaxseeds and are a good source of fiber and omega-3 fats. They are said to reduce blood sugar and sometimes appetite, too. When soaked, chia seeds will expand and get “gummy,” which helps hold foods together in recipes.
- Pumpkin seeds are a very commonly consumed types of seed (I personally love them), and are good sources of monounsaturated fats and omega-6 fats. They provide 7 grams of protein in 1 ounce.
- Sunflower seeds also provide protein, fiber and omega-6 fats. I love creating homemade sunflower butter with them!
A delicious, easy-to-make grain-free, nut-free bread.
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds, divided
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, divided
- 5 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/4 cup milk of choice (I used hemp milk)
- 1/2 cup psyllium husk flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper. In a medium sized bowl, mix eggs, chia seeds and milk. Set aside.
In a food processor, add 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds and 1/2 cup sunflower seeds. Grind for 30 seconds.
Add egg mixture to ground seeds and process on high for 30 seconds.
Add psyllium, remaining pumpkin and sunflower seeds, salt, baking powder and coconut oil. Mix to combine.
Place in prepared baking loaf pan and bake for 30 minutes. Top should start to get golden brown. Remove and let cool before enjoying.
Whether you are grain-free or even just gluten-free, this is a tasty, nutritious bread I think you’re gonna love. I have a whole bunch of other gluten free and grain free bread recipes, too. Tell me about your favorite flavors in the comments below!
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.