Since going grain-free and nut-free, I’ve been on a mission to create more recipe options for when hunger strikes. I remember all too well that first week of knowing I had new food restrictions. It was overwhelming, and I felt at a loss. But I quickly realized that seeds can provide so much of the same satisfaction. They say that situations make you stronger, and I absolutely agree with this. It has forced me out of my comfort zone, and has helped me come up with new foods that I can share with you – like these taste raw seed bars, with a yummy chocolate drizzle. Whether you are grain- and/or nut-free, I know you’re gonna love these!
Raw Seed Energy Bars with a Chocolate Drizzle Recipe
One of the things that I missed the most after going grain-free were bars. Not the super sugar-laden ones, but ones like GoMacro bars which were my staple for a while, especially while I did the FODMAP elimination diet. Bars are super convenient and can provide quick nutrition on the go. I needed something to fill this void! Lucky for me, I realized that binding seeds together with foods that I could tolerate could fit the bill. Pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and hemp seeds are held together with sun butter and honey in these no-bake bars. And while I knew I’d like these just the same as is, I wanted to make them a bit more exciting for my kids … what better way to do this than a nice drizzle of chocolate on top?!
Benefits of pumpkin seeds
- 1 oz provides 7 grams of plant protein
- Aka peptitas. they provide antioxidants which are said to reduce inflammation
- A wonderful source of protein
- High in dietary fiber (5 grams in a 1 oz serving)
Benefits of hemp seeds
- Healthy inflammatory 3:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids*.
- A complete protein, providing all of the essential amino acids
- 2-3 tablespoons contain 11 g of raw vegan protein
- Great source of magnesium
- Contains soluble and insoluble fiber
Benefits of local raw honey
- Support local bee keepers
- Local raw honey acts as a natural anti-allergy shot
- Can be used as a cough suppressant (Mix apple cider vinegar and honey to taste in a small glass jar. Take a tablespoon as often as needed to relieve minor coughs, colds, and sore throats.)
- Is an all-natural sweetener
* Omega fatty acids are essential because human bodies cannot make them on their own, which means we need to get these good fats from our diet – enter hemp seeds.
A grain-free, no bake energy bar that's full of seeds, bound together by sun butter and honey and is super tasty, too!
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
Mix 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, and all of the hemp seeds in a food processor. Process on high for 30 seconds.
Remove blade, and add in remaining ingredients, and mix to combine (by hand).
Line an 8 x 8 pan with wax paper. Using a spatula, push mixture down into all sides, flattening out the mixture with your spatula. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
When the bars have been in the freezer for 30 minutes (or more), in a microwave-safe bowl, heat the chocolate chips and coconut oil for 30 seconds. Mix, and heat again for 30 seconds if necessary until chocolate is melted.
Remove bars from freezer, and gently lift up wax paper to remove bars, keeping them on the wax paper. Drizzle chocolate mixture across bars in whatever fashion you'd like. I had chocolate left over, so I imagine you could do a solid layer of chocolate if you choose!
Place back in the freezer for 10 minutes. Remove and cut into bars.
These are best kept in the freezer or fridge in an airtight container.
A few notes on these raw seed energy bars:
- These are best kept in an air-tight container in the fridge or freezer. They will crumble if left out in the open! Which is still delicious:).
- Can you substitute another nut butter? I am guessing that you can, but I haven’t tried. Give it a shot and let us know in the comments!
- This is a super pretty and high quality baking dish; a more economical one, and one that has a lid is here.
- Rest assured that if you use this chocolate, it will be clean and free of all of the top allergens.
Enjoy friends! XOXO
Posts may contain affiliate links. Products purchased through an affiliate link have the same costs, but Easy Real Food will receive a small commission. This helps cover some of the costs for this site. We appreciate your support!