Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
Use up leftover quinoa with these easy tasty spinach quinoa patties – the perfect plant-based appetizer! Showcase the power of two vegetarian superfoods in these grain-free spinach quinoa patties. Perfect for snacks, lunches (and lunchboxes) or dinner! Also tasty served on a salad.
Are you in the mood for a feel-good, good-for-you food? Then you’re in the right place! These little vegetarian patties are packed with goodness and yet are crispy from lightly frying them in avocado oil. Healthy but good – what more could you ask for?! 😉
How do you make spinach quinoa patties
When it comes to turning quinoa into patties, you’ll need some binding ingredients. I like to use eggs, since they are a natural binder and source of protein, flaxseed for its fiber properties, and sweet potato since it binds and also adds in another veggie. Onion and garlic powder along with salt help round out the flavor. If you really wanted to, you could add in some mushrooms or grated carrots, too.
Honestly, these vegetarian patties are super easy and versatile and yet pack a powerful punch!
Cooking instructions for grain-free spinach quinoa patties:
- Frying Instructions: Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-low heat. Place patties on the heated pan, making sure not to overcrowd , and cook until the patties are golden color, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Baking Instructions: Place the patties on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush the oil on top of the patties. Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F for 15 minutes, until golden. While I have not tried cooking these in the air-fryer, I’m guessing that they will cook easily there as well.
How to serve grain-free spinach quinoa patties:
- These are an ideal healthy appetizer for a group.
- I love sending these in my kids’ lunchboxes, or meal-prepping them to have on the hand for lunches during the week.
- Try adding them atop a bed of greens with some pickled vegetables and a dressing of choice.
- To make these kid-friendly, serve them with a side of organic ketchup.
Use up leftover quinoa with these easy tasty vegetarian quinoa patties - the perfect plant-based appetizer! Showcase the power of two vegetarian superfoods in these spinach and quinoa patties. Perfect for snacks, lunches (and lunchboxes) or dinner! Also tasty served on a salad.
Mix all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before cooking.
Heat a saute pan with 1 -1.5 tbsp oil. Using your hands, form into patties and place on pan. Cook 3 minutes and flip; cook 3 minutes on other side. Remove from pan and cook remaining patties in same fashion.
Serve with a dipping sauce, atop a salad, or send in a lunchbox to school or work.
Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge.
Freezing Instructions: You can also freeze the patties before or after cooking them.
- To freeze them prior to cooking, lay them on a flat baking dish in the freezer for at least 4 hours. Once frozen, place them in an airtight bag. Thaw in the fridge overnight and cook per instructions.
- To freeze them after cooking, simply store them in an airtight bag or container (I'm a sucker for Pyrex) after they've cooled. To re-heat, thaw in the fridge overnight and bake in a 350°F oven until heated through.
If you like these, you definitely should try out these Vegetarian Fritters; they are also vegetarian, tasty and easy.
Let me know how you like them in the comments below;).