So the kids are officially back in school, and the after-school chaos has begun. If you have children, you know the drill: pick up kids, drive here, drive there. Come home and tend to homework and – WAIT! It’s dinner time! What are we eating? Quick and easy make-ahead meals are definitely at the top of my requirement list, so I’m excited to share a new family favorite: sheet pan steak fajitas.
An easy sheet pan recipe
Though steak fajitas are traditionally cooked in a skillet, this version is prepped ahead and cooked on a sheet pan in the oven. Do your prepping earlier on in the day (or on the weekend) so that you can just pop them in when you are ready. While these cook in the oven, you are free to assist with homework, clean lunchboxes that came home from school, etc. Gotta love multi-tasking opportunities!
During the last 5 minutes of the cooking time of these steak fajitas, wrap your tortillas in foil and place them in the oven. Slice an avocado and pull out some sour cream if you desire. Then tuck the cooked steak and vegetable mixture into the warmed tortillas and top with optional sour cream for a simple meal that your family will adore.
What you need to make sheet pan steak fajitas:
- This is my favorite sheet pan. Great size and super easy to clean. Did I mention the durability? And the price is right, too!
- You’ve probably seen me mention it, but this is hands down my favorite spray. The reason why? One ingredient – just avocado oil, which has a high smoke point, which means it won’t burn at higher temps like other oils will.
- My favorite salt is Real Salt , since it is authentic and unrefined.
- While I don’t have a link for you, I picked up some sprouted corn tortillas at my local Whole Foods Market. If you want to try something different, I also like these organic paleo gluten-free, vegan coconut wraps. Yes they are a bit pricey, but they are different and have all of those titles/attributes, lol:).
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper depending on how hot you like it
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 lbs flank steak sliced against the grain into thin strips
- 2 bell peppers sliced
- 1 onion sliced
- 1/2 of a lime
- chopped cilantro optional
Mix olive oil and spices in a large Ziploc bag. Add steak strips and vegetables, seal bag and marinade in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes (longer is fine, too).
After marinading, preheat oven to 400 degrees F and coat a sheet pan with avocado or olive oil.
Spread steak mixture onto prepared pan so that it's evenly distributed.
Roast in preheated oven, stirring once halfway through, until the steak is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, approximately 15 minutes.
Remove from oven and squeeze lime juice on top of mixture. Fold in cilantro if desired.
How to serve Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas
Serve fajitas in whole wheat or corn (if gluten free) tortillas. For a nice change of pace, try the cooked mixture atop a bed of greens – sour cream and cheese are optional, or even on top of cooked rice.
Here’s wishing you success with this first month of school. I tend to find that after a few weeks, we are all settled in to the new routine – activities, cooking and all. Good luck momma!
Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your costs will be the same but Easy Real Food will receive a small commission. This helps cover some of the costs for this site. We appreciate your support!