Here’s how to make sure you’re choosing a smart snack rather than a smartly marketed candy bar: These are the 10 best paleo bars out there. Bars have minimal ingredients, no refined sugars, healthy real foods within and some with a healthy dose of protein. If you’re looking for healthy grain free bars, look no further.
10 Best Paleo Bars
I’ve been a fan of bars ever since I can remember. Back in the day, before I had any food sensitivities, I didn’t care much about which bars I ate. I primarily focused on ones with protein and ones that tasted decent. Flash forward, and I’ve expanded my knowledge to realize that many bars are glorified candy bars.
I’ve got a number of recipes where you can make your own, including Raw Seed Energy Bars, Easy Homemade Chewy Granola Bars; No Bake, and this latest one, 5 Ingredient Protein Bars – Dairy-free, Gluten-free. I also have a bunch of energy balls/bites/whatever you like to call them such as Easy Energy Balls, 3 Ingredient Paleo Energy Bites and even Peanut Butter Protein Balls. But sometimes convenience calls and you want a healthy bar to grab and take with you. So I present to you a list of the top 10 best paleo bars. But first – the criteria in selecting the healthiest protein bars:
Shopping Tips: What to look for in searching for the healthiest bars:
Looking for the cleanest protein bars? Follow these simple tips:
- Bars should have minimal ingredients
- Ingredients should be recognizable
- Main ingredients of the best protein bars should include nuts, seeds, dried fruit and a clean protein powder (if included)
- Avoid highly processed additives
- Paleo bars should be void of any grains or unnatural sweeteners
- Watch the sugar inclusions, and pay attention to if they are added or natural
- Sugar alcohols such as maltitol, xylitol, sorbitol and glyserol can cause digestive distress in some
Now without further adieu – the top 10 Best Paleo Bars
1. RX Bars
Made with recognizable ingredients, this is a favorite among many nutritionists Each RX Bar is packed with egg whites, dates and nuts and there are a number of flavors to choose from. Bars are super satiating and therefore a great after-school or pre- or post-workout snack.
- Minimal ingredients, all listed on the front of the bars
- Sweetened naturally with dates
- Packed with natural protein
- Numerous flavors to choose from. My favorite by far is Chocolate Sea Salt.
- Lists natural ingredients on label but hasn’t indicated where these come from
Whole food bars packed with plant-based protein and nutrient-dense ingredients. With zero added sugars, these are sweetened with fruits like dates and cherries.Thunderbird Real Food Bars come in 13 flavors – I personally love the Hazelnut Coffee Maca and the Chocolate Raspberry Espresso. Are we seeing a trend here? 🙂
- Paleo, Vegan and Grain-free
- No added sugars
- Plant-based natural protein
- 10 simple, recognizable ingredient
- No nuts, just seeds
- If you’re looking for protein powder, there is none here.
A gluten-free, grain-free, soy-free, Vegan and Paleo bar, Pegan Thins are made with 98% organic ingredients. The organic seed plant protein profile consists of Sacha Inchi and pumpkin seeds – both with a complete amino acid profile. Try the Chocolate Lava flavor (tastes like a brownie) or Sweet Sunflower.
- 1 gram of sugar, 1 net carb
- High in fiber
- Soft texture
- Monk fruit sweetened
- Not a “natural” taste
- Made with all fruit and nuts
- Some flavors contain only 2 or 3 ingredients
- No added sweeteners
- Gluten-free, non-GMO and fair trade
- Not very high in protein
- Though sweetened naturally, bars contain 15-17 grams of sugar
- Not organic
A newly discovered one of mine, Autumn’s Gold Bars are packed with nutritious protein all coming from almonds, pecans and sunflower seeds. Coconut oil adds healthy fats, and anti-inflammatory cinnamon.
- Sweetened naturally with maple syrup and honey
- Minimal ingredients
- Healthy fats included with coconut oil
- No protein powder added, protein is all natural
- Some find the cinnamon taste to be strong. I personally love it.
- 5 grams protein per bar (low if you are looking for more)
6. Fast Bar
A bar created for fans of intermittent fasting, Fast Bars provide necessary nutrients & calories to boost your ability to fast longer. Bars offer plant-based protein including macadamia nuts, pecans, almonds and a few other ingredients. Bars are sweetened naturally with honey. Try the Cocoa Nuts flavor.
- Great for intermittent fasting
- High in fiber
- No dairy or soy
- Plant-based protein
- $3 per bar
7. IQ Bar
IQ Bars, which come in three flavors, were created to help keep you full, focused, and energized all day long. IQ Bars are Keto, Paleo-Friendly, Vegan, Non-GMO, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free and High Fiber. Nutrients used for brain-boosting support include Lion’s Mane, MCT’s, Omega-3’s and Vitamin E.
- Super diet-friendly (see above – not only a paleo bar, but also keto, vegan, non-gmo, grain-free bar and more)
- 3 net carbs
- 12 grams of protein
- More ingredients than some of the other bars listed here, including pea protein, protein crisps and gum acacia
A mix of nuts and seeds make up this grain-free breakfast and guilt-free snack. With three varieties to choose from, the Cinnamon Raisin version is definitely my favorite. Tastes like granola made into a bar.
- 5 grams of plant-based protein
- 7 grams of sugar
- Protein-rich almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and chia seeds
- Sweetened with tapioca syrup and does contain minimal sugar – sorta misuses the word paleo
9. Bulletproof Collagen Protein Bars
Stay full and focused with Bulletproof Collagen Protein Bars which combines organic cashews & cashew butter with grass-fed collagen, Bulletproof XCT Oil, Inulin and just a few other ingredients.
- Made from organic ingredients
- Low sugar (2 grams per bar)
- 12 grams of protein per bar
- Inulin (fiber) can cause digestive distress in some
- Bars crumble slightly
10. Raw Crunch Bar
Keep it simple with these raw, soaked, dehydrated, organic, handmade, non GMO, gluten-free, dairy-free, low-carb, Paleo protein bars. With just 5 grams of sugar per bar, these are unbaked, healthy, and the perfect refueling snack for on-the-go.
- Dehydrated rather than baked in order to maintain their original concentrated nutrients
- Made with organic real food ingredients
- One of the best paleo bars that satisfies so many other diets
- 5 grams natural sugar/bar
- Cost – about $2.80/bar
So there you have it. The 10 best Paleo bars that are out there, all which are grain-free bars and many which are plant-based. Which ones have you tried? What have you liked? Any ones that I have missed? Please share in the comments below!