Some suggestions in creating a breakfast board:
Some pancake topping ideas to get your started on your breakfast board:
- Sliced banana
- Cubed & cooked apples
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate sauce
- Nutella or chocolate ghee
- Peanut (or another nut) butter
- Powdered sugar
- Chocolate chips
- Pecan pieces
- Almond slices
- Sunflower seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Unsweetened dried coconut
- Dried cranberries
The assembly of the breakfast board:
Before you start, make sure to have a plan. Get out any small containers/bowls that will sit on the finished board. Pull out ingredients that needn’t be cold. Visualize and even move containers around so that you are ready when foods are warm. Once ready to assemble your breakfast board, make the pancakes and any other hot foods (ie bacon, sausage, etc.) that you may be including. While these cook, start putting out the accompaniments. Add warmed items as they are finished. If bacon/eggs/etc. are done early, wrap them in foil to keep them warm and add at the last minute.
Some last tips on assembling the pancake board:
- Keep dry foods away from wet ones.
- Avoid putting similar colors too close together, especially browns and yellows.
- Try to vary your textures.
- Add something to the tops of your dips/liquids to create a visual appeal.
- Once assembled, place either in a serving area or in the center of the table for others to enjoy. Everyone serves themselves at their leisure. Easy peasy!
A delicious, easy gluten-free pancake recipe that can be used to make a pancake board - perfect for company and brunch!
- 2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 ripe banana , mashed
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups milk (use dairy-free if needed)
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 tbsp coconut oil , melted (can sub avocado or olive oil)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp butter , separated - for cooking
In a medium bowl, combine gluten free flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
In a separate bowl, mash banana. Add to it eggs, milk, applesauce, oil, syrup and vanilla and whisk together.
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until completely combined.
Add some of the butter to a pan/griddle and heat pan/griddle on medium/low heat. When butter is melted, add pancake batter to the pan using a 1/4 measuring cup. Flip when bubbles begin to appear on the tops of the pancakes. Cook on the other side until cooked through.
Serve with desired toppings, or make a pancake board (as shown) - perfect for a crowd, or just to spice up any day!
*Sub olive oil or avocado oil for coconut oil if needed.
**Use dairy-free milk if needed.
More breakfast recipes you may enjoy: