Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
A delicious avocado chocolate bread that combines minimal real food ingredients. This chocolatey bread is a grain-free banana & avocado bread sweetened with maple syrup. Lots of healthy fats and fiber within! This recipe is gluten-free, vegan, and refined sugar-free. It’s perfect for a light snack or a healthy dessert!
Grain-Free Avocado Chocolate Bread (Paleo)
You know those times that you’re craving something sweet? You want something delicious, but you’re definitely not into the typical doughnuts or cupcakes? (Or should I say, you also can’t have them because you are gluten-free, grain-free or paleo? Raises hand …).
Here’s the thing – even though I’ve been grain-free for 3 years, I still love a good piece of bread. I just want it to be made with good ingredients! Enter this new recipe, for grain-free avocado chocolate bread.
This Avocado Chocolate Banana Bread Is:
- Made with healthy fats
- Minimally sweetened with natural sweeteners (bananas and minimal maple syrup)
- A recipe that has both vegetables & fruit within
- The perfect healthy snack
- A healthy breakfast option
- Perfect for a healthy dessert
Why avocados and bananas?
Well, could you relate with me if I told you I had a ripe avocado and a few ripe bananas to use up? I am not a fan of wasting food, so I wanted to use them in something together. I was hunting around and found recipes for chocolate avocado bread, but they had sugar. Then I thought, why not sweeten it naturally with ripe bananas? Plus they would add moisture to the final product as well. Unfortunately the first go (without maple syrup) was very bland and I had to try a couple more times. 3 tablespoons of maple syrup is not a lot, but it adds just the perfect touch of sweetness. It’s not overwhelming but it definitely brings out the other tastes.
How to Enjoy this Flourless Avocado Chocolate Bread
- This pairs nicely with a cup of coffee or tea for breakfast—a healthy way to start the day.
- Add some almond butter or sunflower seed butter to two slices and make a sandwich for lunch. A delicious, nutritious meal with a solid balance of macros.
- Try either option for an afternoon snack—it’s a solid mixture that will hold you through until dinner.
- It has chocolate within … so it’s idea for a healthy dessert! Maybe add a scoop of ice cream on top? Why not!
What you need to make this Avocado Chocolate Bread:
- Bananas—Make sure these are good and ripe. You know, the kind with brown spots on them where your kids won’t come near them with a ten-foot pole:). The riper the sweeter!
- Avocado—I used a large avocado for this. It wasn’t as ripe as I wanted it to be (I tried the recipe a few times and the last time it could have been riper!) If your avo is small, you may need one and a half. Hass avocados are generally very creamy which works wonderfully for this recipe. Sidenote: this is the best avocado tool out there!
- Maple syrup—As mentioned above, I tried to not use any sweetener at all … but alas I ended up using 3 tablespoons of maple syrup. This is one of my sweeteners of choice as it’s unrefined and comes straight from nature.
- Vanilla extract—Vanilla is always essential when making baked goods. It helps enhance all the flavors used and provides a warm, savory, delicious taste.
- Eggs—Eggs add structure and stability to the recipe and they also add moisture, too.
- Almond flour — one of my favorite grain-free flours, almond flour is made from—you guessed it—almonds! Just one ingredient and it has protein and healthy fats within, this is a baking staple I love to use.
- Baking soda—The baking soda helps the bread rise when baking.
- Espresso powder—While not necessary, I do enjoy using espresso powder when baking a chocolate recipe as it really enhances the taste and brings out the flavors.
- Cocoa powder—You can use organic unsweetened cocoa powder, like this one. Or you can use raw cacao powder for an even healthier alternative. Keep in mind that raw cacao powder is slightly more bitter than unsweetened cocoa powder
A delicious avocado chocolate bread that combines minimal real food ingredients. This chocolate avocado bread is a grain-free banana & avocado bread sweetened with maple syrup. Lots of healthy fats and fiber within!
- 2 ripe bananas , mashed
- 1 ripe avocado , mashed
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp espresso powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder , unsweetened
- chocolate chips to top, optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
In a medium-sized bowl, mix wet ingredients. Make sure avocados and bananas are mashed well. If necessary, process wet ingredient in a food processor.
Mix dry ingredient in a separate bowl. When combined, add dry ingredient to wet and combine.
Add mixture to prepared loaf pan with a spatula. Top with chocolate chips if desired.
Bake 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the top comes out clean.
Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before serving. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE! TAG ME AT @EASYREALFOOD IF YOU DO SO THAT I CAN SHARE!
Other Gluten-Free Bread Recipes You May Enjoy
The Best Gluten Free Bread Recipes
Paleo Pumpkin Bread with Coconut Flour
Grain-Free Carrot Cake Banana Bread with Banana Flour
Healthy Fast Gluten-Free Bread